Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The layout. When Tim and I were looking for studios to rent, every space we looked at seemed so hard to spatially visualize. The "L" shape of our studio really lends itself to creating public and private areas. Even though this is a studio apartment, it defintely has a bedroom area and a living area. Also, each space has its own window allowing light to pour into the space! I also love the character present throughout; the brick chimney wall and the kitchen cabinets are both fun original details.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Storage, storage, storage. This is always an issue with living in a small space. We only have one main closet space, so we had to improvise with regards to where we would store other items. Luckily we were able get some great finds: the Dorothy Draper Espania Chest and the large armoire added to this storage space. The lofted area houses a twin mattress for guests as well as our suitcases and larger items. We were also crafty about using higher surface areas to display and store our extensive book collection. We have always been excited to display these items and find that they create their own texture and color within the space. We have also utilized old suitcases under our bed and in our bedroom for more accessible storage. We have small dogs and have kennels for them to stay in when we are away, and were able to utilize them as a nightstand for the bedroom. "Two birds with one stone", so to speak.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- If we win this prize I would put this money towards a new sofa for the space. The one we have was a street find and is covered with a slipcover. I would also paint! The paint that we have now was there when we moved in and I hate it but have never had the funds to paint. Maybe we'd even upgrade the dog bed for the pups, add to the artwork on the walls and I would also definitely look at buying even more books, naturally!
See all entries