- Portland, OR
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- I love all of the light (barely any in Portland) that comes in through my windows. From my bed I look onto my neighbors mossy roof, and I can see the stars and the sunrise too. I moved here from New York, so things like bedroom windows, a walk-in closet, and my own bathroom were kind of unheard of. I made a light fixture out of twin light bulb adapters, and use about 20 low-wattage Edison bulbs with a dimmer to create a dynamic environment. This house is over 100 years old and has strong bones.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?:
- The older I get the more I appreciate white walls and warm (non-florescent) lighting. That way I can focus more on the things I like to look at; artwork, books, plants, rocks, etc. I cut flowers and clippings from alleyways around here too, to bring the outside inside. I try to put everything away so I donât stress about mess. Iâve been using more practical office items to stay organized such as folders, files, and baskets under my bed. My favorite cleaning tool is a sheepskin duster from Ikea. I love to sleep with my windows open as much as possible, to breathe clean air.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?:
- I paint and draw in here at my desk, and itâs easy to get carried away and overflow my studio area, into my sleeping area. But there is a definite line (maybe i should make a chalk line?) dividing my work zone, and my relaxing zone. I stretch out in front of my mirror and treat my room like a ballet and yoga studio. And dance around at night in my underwear with incense to keep things fresh and celestial.
More posts in My Bedroom Retreat
ATVideo of the Day