- Bethesda, MD
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- First of all, its situation on the 7th floor of my 16 floor building, with windows looking west/south-west, which means it's always full of light, sunny from noon to sunset, followed by often starry nights. Second, I love the organization of my space. Since I spend most of my time writing on my computer (I teach French literature), I’ve transformed the master bedroom into my working space and library, and I’ve been using the smaller room as my bedroom. I divided the third space into dining room and living room. Finally, I furnished these spaces by giving each their own style: modern design in the dining and living room; wood tonality in the bedroom (the bed is made of South African wood); two tonalities for the working space (the library shelves are white, and the table I use as desk is in cherry wood from Tennessee). So overall, what I love here? The well-lighted rooms and the space setting and tonalities.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- Understanding that I should not follow the usual model which makes of the master bedroom the most important room, but switch its function and make it into the library working space instead. Once this was understood and the decision to switch taken, the apartment took shape almost on its own. Everything else followed then, including of course the choice of the furniture – I have always thought that in such a small space design style and light colors (white and beige as a basis, with red chairs and black armchair to bringing an efficient and delightful contrast) would give breath to the whole, with the help of course of the extraordinary sunny light I enjoy most of the time.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- If I win the prize, I would start working on the kitchen, putting in a new countertop and cabinets in a classic style to match the rest of the apartment.
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day