- Fairfax, VA
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- My husband and I are avid beach-lovers and design enthusiasts, so I love that our room is a moody blend of both. Rustic beach house meets sophisticated comfort. Some of my favorite things are the gray linen headboard which I DIY'ed when I was 9 months pregnant (I don't recommend this...) and the pallet wood frame I built for the Wyeth print hanging above the dresser. We also picked out the piece of driftwood from a little roadside shop on one of our vacations. These things make the room feel like it is actually ours and not just a pretty space. I love how the layered textures and graphic, monochromatic patterns combine to create an atmosphere of relaxed sophistication.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?:
- We have two kids, ages three and one, so having a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom is challenging, to say the least. A few rules make it a little easier. This is a no brainer, but the bed gets made every morningâthis is huge in keeping order for the rest of the day. Another priority I have is for everything to have a home, so that stray stuff can be put away easily. We have a large hamper for unsightly laundry, and our bedding is easy to clean. White duvets and bleach are great friends!
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?:
- I started seriously assembling our room a few months before our second child was born. Since he would be sharing our room, I knew that I needed a pleasant environment to help me stay sane. Our room is one of the most used rooms in the house, and I love that my husband can work from home, we can rock the baby to sleep, and read to my daughter all in the same space.
More posts in My Bedroom Retreat
ATVideo of the Day