- Fairfax, VA
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- My husband and I are avid beach-lovers and design enthusiasts, so I love that our room is a moody blend of both. Rustic beach house meets sophisticated comfort. Some of my favorite things are the gray linen headboard which I DIY'ed when I was 9 months pregnant (I don't recommend this...) and the pallet wood frame I built for the Wyeth print hanging above the dresser. We also picked out the piece of driftwood from a little roadside shop on one of our vacations. These things make the room feel like it is actually ours and not just a pretty space. I love how the layered textures and graphic, monochromatic patterns combine to create an atmosphere of relaxed sophistication.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- We have two kids, ages three and one, so having a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom is challenging, to say the least. A few rules make it a little easier. This is a no brainer, but the bed gets made every morningâthis is huge in keeping order for the rest of the day. Another priority I have is for everything to have a home, so that stray stuff can be put away easily. We have a large hamper for unsightly laundry, and our bedding is easy to clean. White duvets and bleach are great friends!
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- I started seriously assembling our room a few months before our second child was born. Since he would be sharing our room, I knew that I needed a pleasant environment to help me stay sane. Our room is one of the most used rooms in the house, and I love that my husband can work from home, we can rock the baby to sleep, and read to my daughter all in the same space.
My Bedroom Retreat