- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I think the flow of my space lends itself to feeling like a whole home. It has everything a girl could need from a kitchen table to an office area. It may be 375 sq. ft. but I still have a queen size bed and a fairly decent sitting area, none of which feels cramped. Even my dad's 60 year old desk fits when I added storage underneath. Less is definitely more in the main room as it can feel really cluttered quickly. I kept mostly only the things that I love, so while there is a lot of stuff, it is all happy stuff. I love the calming pale grey shade on my walls. I added mouldings and thicker baseboards when I moved in, which makes it feel more finished. I changed all doorknobs and hardware to glass so that it reflects the natural light from the three windows that make my apartment so bright. My walk-through closet is great because it holds all the things that I need to keep, but do not necessarily want to display.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- When I moved in, the place needed work! I completely re-designed the kitchen by removing the old cabinets and adding white ones that were much brighter than the previous dark ones. I replaced the peel-n-stick tiles and melamine counter/back splash with black and white tiles, granite and marble back splash for a more polished look. I also added another section of cabinets and shelving for storage. My kitchen table is versatile, as I can use it for prep, then take it out and set it up for guests. In the bathroom, the salmon pink tiles were falling out. I re-tiled with white subway tiles which made the bathroom feel bigger and brighter. Originally there were two smaller closets back to back. I had them made into one large walk through, giving me more wall space in the living room, as we closed off the door in the living room. From there it was just making sure that the furniture fit so that it was large enough to be comfortable, but small enough to move around the space.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- I would love to change my book shelves to étagère. I like how they open up the space more. I would also add some more organization to my walk-through closet, as my dresser and linen cabinet are both falling apart and highly unstable when I go to use them.
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day