Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Juan Pedro
- Alexandria, VA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- This is my first place, bought when I was 26, and was on a very tight budget. But, one thing was clear to me from the beginning: I wanted to buy the smallest and ugliest place possible so I could make it my own, one step at the time. I was so glad the layout of the condo felt right and designed thoughtfully. After being here for several years, I love how the space is maturing along with me.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. Defeat the fear factor. Small spaces allow you to test your vision without breaking the bank.
2. Most likely, condo living won't allow drastic space alterations, but it can certainly embrace "refinement". How about an adding cool shaped crown molding to give architectural detail? How about using marble to provide sense of luxury? How about replacing a shower curtain with a glass door? Try to keep it simple. It is wonderful how everything becomes unique and a reflection of you.
3. Trick your eye with scale. For instance, use floor to ceiling drapery or vertical elements to give an illusion of height; and then use furnishings with legs, transparency and reflection to create an impression of spaciousness.
See all entries