Judy, Gabriel, and Henri Location: Union Square, Manhattan, New York Size: 600 square foot, 2-bedroom rental Years Lived In: 13 years As a native New Yorker, I think it's ok for me to say that only another native New Yorker could pull off what Judy Ross has with such aplomb. Judy, pillow, fabric, and rug designer extraordinaire, grew up in Queens and thrives with her two boys, aged 10 and 16, in a beautifully arranged, crisply curated, and well maintained 600 square foot, 2 bedroom apartment in the heart of Manhattan. embraces them as just the right canvas for her hand-embroidered pillows and colorful rugs. Her art is incredible, and while there's a lot of it, it does not not overwhelm the space. Having great views and direct visual access to the building's common garden/outdoor space helps expand the apartment and provide a lot of natural light. Choosing a lighting fixture the length of the living room instead of multiple lamps also helps to create a sense of openness, as well as free up valuable floor space. Each piece of furniture seems to work perfectly for its location. While there is no hiding the limited space available to Judy and her two sons, she has done everything in her power to make this small rental into a place everyone would want to be.
- • Knoll credenza
• Knoll sofa
• Property dining table
• Thonet wood dining room chairs
• Artwork by Adam Fuss, Richard Smith, Kiki Smith, Nan Golden,
• Green silk screen print by Judy Ross
• Built in bookshelves/cd shelves designed by Judy Ross
• Hand-knotted Celine Rug in cream/purple/pewter silk by Judy Ross
• Hand embroidered wool pillows by Judy Ross
- • Built-in Ikea white lacquer kitchen cabinets with a corian top and added aluminum hardware.
• Aluminum track and Ikea hardware for the hanging sheer panels.
• One panel is hand embroidered in the design "Swim," on a silk voile from Bruno Triplet fabrics. The rest of sheer panels are a white sheer polyester.
• Overhead LED lighting strips behind the panels and fluorescent tube lights for underneath lighting
• Trans Luxe Lighting hanging lamp shade
• India Mahdavi yellow ceramic night table
• Knoll credenza
• Judy Ross hand embroidered Pinwheel Artek stool (collaboration with Artek and the Alvar Aalto stool 60)
• Artwork sketches by Judy Ross
• Baby photographs of Henri and Gabriel Ross by Adam Fuss
Display Your Personal Art, Run Your Apartment Like a Ship, and An Ode to White Walls. Thanks, Judy! (Images: Jill Slater) • HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here. • Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form. • Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.