- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- There are so many things that I love about my teeny abode. What first drew me to the apartment were the high ceilings and the big windows, which give an airy lightness to the space and the illusion that it's larger than it really is. Despite it's size, I never feel claustrophobic in here. My windows look out onto a side street with trees, which is always less chaotic than the avenue. There's a perfect balance of noise, sunshine and calm here.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Keep your furniture "regular-sized" (as long as you can physically fit it). The only real compromises I made when I first moved in were opting for a chaise lounge instead of a couch and foregoing a coffee table, purely because I was fighting against millimeters of space. If you can fit it, I love the look of a few large pieces in a small space. It's important not to let size limitations dictate your taste.
2. Keep it clean. While I don't always (rarely...) give my apartment the deep clean it deserves, a quick vacuum and counter wipe-down make a huge difference in a space this size. It usually takes me under 15 minutes and I always feel like I've gained a few square feet.
3. Don't spend all day at home. When I have a day off, it's tempting to spend every minute of it holed up in my apartment but when I spend a few hours away, I find that I'm always so happy to come back into my little space and love it even more than before.