As a junior back-end web engineer, you'll join our growing engineering team in shipping software to deliver an excellent experience to our nearly 27+ million monthly readers on Apartment Therapy and The Kitchn.
This role requires a strong grasp of the fundamentals of building quality web applications with Ruby and Ruby on Rails. You should also have a solid understanding of technologies that back-end depends on (e.g., Linux, Postgres/MySQL, nginx/apache, http). Our ideal candidate has at least a year of experience shipping production code. You may read more about our technical stack here.
Our team (and much of the company) works remotely. We all wear many hats and maintain a collaborative and supportive environment. You may work remotely or in our New York City office, however you must be able to work effectively with a remote team and coworkers. Excellent communication skills and self-direction are critical for success.
Additional 'nice to haves':
- Experience working with a distributed team
- Experience shipping code in a high traffic environment
- Experience in small team (startup/lean/agile) environments
- Interest in home design, cooking and other lifestyle areas our publications cover
To apply, email Vanessa Warlow. In addition to your cover letter, résumé and links to relevant additional work to consider (including portfolios, blog, twitter account, GitHub profile, etc), please include:
- your code editor of choice
- a technology/skill or language that is on your list to learn more about
- a link to a post from one of our sites you find compelling, stating briefly why
Extra Credit: "Fraq hf gur pbqr lbh hfrq gb qrpbqr guvf zrffntr" (hint: rot13)
Candidates must be located and legally able to work in the US. No recruiters or agencies.