Name: Juniper (10 months)
Location: Palos Heights, IL
I was 7 months pregnant and on bed rest when we moved into our small Cape Cod home. Decorating was a bit of a challenge, but I was not going to let our little peanut keep us from getting her room ready!
We wanted the space to be a collection of things that have meaning to our family and, of course, to be sweet, girly and fun!
• Jenny Lind crib: estate sale. My husband and I found our Jenny Lind crib at an estate sale for a whopping $40.00. I saw a previous nursery on Ohdeedoh with a bright red Jenny Lind crib and loved how it turned out so we went for it.
• Blanket & bed skirt: Juniper's Auntie Lexie and Auntie Mary made the beautifully crocheted blanket and bed skirt with love.
• Child's ladder: Monster Rummage, Ripon, WI. The old children's bunk ladder was picked up for $10.00 at an antique store in WI. I just drilled in some hanging hardware on the back to make it into a little wall shelf.
• Paint color: Benjamin Moore Cotton Candy 1268. I love any red and pink combo so I was so excited to implement it into her nursery.
• Dresser: We found the long mid century dresser at a thrift store and just cleaned it up a bit and painted the hardware.
• Cross-stitch artwork: My late grandmother, who was a big part of my upbringing, made the framed cross-stitch artwork. She had them hanging in my nursery and would tell me stories about one item in the cross-stitch before each nap. The frames and picture rail are from IKEA. The one hanging alone by the window is the original frame painted white.
• Rocking chairs: The rockers are both refinished antique rockers. The blue one was actually the first thing we picked for our nursery. We picked it up for $20.00 at a thrift store and painted it and then used a shower curtain that had a twig motif on it for the upholstery fabric. I wanted something durable, water resistant, and something that paid homage to my daughter's name. My mom bought me the yellow rocker a few months after Juniper was born. She found it at an antique store and couldn't pass it up. We painted the frame yellow.
• Grey pouf: CB2
• Chalkboard: The chalkboard is actually just painted on the wall, and then I used a discarded frame for the outline.
• Square wall shelves: Target. Scrapbook paper is from the Amy Butler collection.
• White bookcase: Expedit from IKEA. Baskets from Land of Nod
• Juniper name: Land of Nod
• Birdcage lamp: painted from a thrift store and replaced shade
• Book rails: spice racks from IKEA
• Curtains on windows: Urban Outfitters
• Closet curtain: Land of Nod
• Pillows: The orange and cream one is from Target, the blue and brown one is from the dollar store (Can you believe it?!), and the octagon pillow is vintage from a thrift store.
Thanks, Emily! Readers, see more of Emily's work on her site, Emily Haan Design.
(Images: Emily Haan)