- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our apartment is 99 years old and has managed to retain nearly all its original detail, including Arts and Crafts style plaster moulding, a gas fireplace, and large windows with leaded-glass transoms. It's basically really warm and inviting, providing an interesting contrast to some of our contemporary art and furnishings.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Storage. The bedroom closet measures 2.5 x 4 feet, but had TWO doors to access it - one from the bedroom and one from the living room. We filled in the living room door, enabling the much-needed installation of clothing rods in the closet, then built bookshelves and a custom cabinet into the doorframe in the living room. It looks like it has been there for 99 years.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We would like to have a carpenter build more custom shelves and cabinets under the large window in the living room. We'd like to have doors in the center with historically accurate brass closures and open shelving on the sides so it's in keeping with the symmetry of the room. Since the corner of the living room also serves as a home office, the extra storage would get a lot of use.