Name: Karen Racicot, actor and artist
Location: Parkdale, Toronto
Size: 650 square feet
Years lived in: 7 years, owned
Flamboyant French actor/artist Karen Racicot emphasizes the use of bold colors in every aspect of her style,
right down to her hot pink Brita water filter. As an extensive world traveller,
jewelry designer and painter, she set out to create a vibrant “living jewelry
box” with her Westside condo. The endless colored glass
ornaments, lampshades and wall hangings are the widest collection of
treasures one could imagine under one roof — and not a single one comes
without a tale of adventure.
Two of the four walls are made of glass and encompassed by a wrap-around balcony, allowing for the day’s light to bring this multitude of vibrant detail to life. Any artworks hanging in Karen’s condo that weren't collected during journeys to Thailand, India or Mexico are pieces she created herself. With her motto being "More is more!", she has created a space that is uniquely hers. Welcome to Karen’s color explosion!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Colourful, eclectic, artistic, world.
Inspiration: Southeast Asia, India & Mexico.
Favorite Element: The 5 sliding doors that lead to the balcony, and my red Arne Jacobsen chair.
Biggest Challenge: Finding room to store my things in just 650 square feet of space.
What Friends Say: Wow!
Biggest Embarrassment: The non-existent bathroom door!
Proudest DIY: Painting & drilling in the concrete walls to install the floating shelves myself, and the two hanging stained glass pieces in the kitchen. The fact that my place is packed with stuff & it's still feng shui.
Biggest Indulgence: Jewelry — I love stones! And my travels. And clothes. And perfume!
Best Advice: Follow your heart! Do what makes you happy.
Dream Sources: Milan. Roche-Bobois.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Benjamin Moore - Magenta, Poppy, Red
- Guardian Angel - Oaxaca, Mexico
- Curtain - Ikea
- Rugs - Ikea
- Metal chair - Urban Barn
- Sofa - Cabinet
- Egg Chair by Arne Jacobsen - gift from my mother
- Chinese console - Rus-Teak
- Armoire - San Migel de Allende
- Dinning room table - Cabinet
- Buddhas - Thailand
- Glass balls - various local artisans
- Paintings - some by me, some by other artists
- Throw pillows - Mexico City
- Silver lamp - Ikea
- Stained glass lamps - eBay.com
- Red/orange side table - MaZone
- Wood two-drawer dresser - family heirloom
- Green Persian rug - eBay.com
- Red/Pink/white area rug - Ikea
- Coffee table - GH Johnson's Trading Co. Ltd
- Dinning room table - Cabinet
- Chairs - Ikea
- Rug - Anthropologie
- Stained glass light - eBay.com
- Gold frame mirror - Ikea
- Indian Armoire - Rus-Teak
- Hot pink Brita water filter jug - Target
- Red Totem speakers - Bay Bloor Radio
- Built-in armoire - custom by Alan Royal, doors from India
- Storage boxes above armoire - Ikea
- Duvet cover - Carre Blanc, France
- Throw pillows - Rang
- Pink floating shelves - Ikea
- Lamp - DIY paint, base from Pottery Barn
- Mosaic desk - Los Angeles
- Carved wooden doorway frame - India
- Lounge chair - Canadian Tire
- Table & chairs - Ikea
- Pillows - Urban Barn
- Planters - Homesense
- Garden trellis - Home Hardware
- Rust colored lantern - Homesense
- Orange glass candle lanterns - Urban Barn
- Brown storage box - Canadian Tire
(Images: Justice Darragh)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.