Karin & Jeff's Bathroom Reno: Major Progress + Helpful Puppies

Karin & Jeff's Bathroom Reno: Major Progress + Helpful Puppies

9c44ee4002f69115513ccb21a3e75664fbd02d1d?w=240&h=240&fit=crop
Tess Wilson
Aug 19, 2015
"I brought you this ball. Does that help?"

Name: Karin and Jeff
Type of Project: Main Bathroom Remodel
Type of Home: Single-family home built in 1967
Square Footage: 1,800
Years Lived In: 2.5

The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

I solemnly swear that I will lead off Renovation Diary entries with adorable puppy pictures whenever possible. In other news, Karin and Jeff's bathroom renovation is proceeding swimmingly!

The new floating vanity and mirrored medicine cabinet.
I hung the vanity by myself... and it's level.
Hidden outlet in the medicine cabinet for hiding toothbrush and shaver chargers.

From Karin:

Grout: done. Vanity and medicine cabinet: assembled. New closet shelving: installed. Tub surround: In progress.
Progress after a day and a half tiling. Once the ledger boards are down, I'll patch the waterproofing and finish up the bottom row.
4"x16" white matte shower tile going up.
The end is in sight! This week we got both cabinets hung, the light installed, and nearly 2 of the 3 tub surround walls tiled.
Tile saw in the room for easy access. I'm a slob, don't judge.
Cutout tile for the shower valve with silicon caulk for waterproofing.
I decided to bring the tile saw into the bathroom to speed up the process, which made the room ridiculously crowded. It was very handy, though! I hope to finish the rest of the tile installation at the beginning of next week and get to grouting and caulking.
Adjustable shelves in the new closet (which I immediately covered with tools and supplies).
I also made a sad attempt at installing the toilet - I got the flange cemented into the drain pipe, but the progress stopped there. It took what seemed like forever to get just two holes drilled through the tile to secure the flange, then the brass screws broke off in both holes. And then the dull masonry bit broke... a trip to the store for a larger bit is definitely in order. Hopefully the toilet will go in next week. I'm at the point where I'm so ready to be done that I just want to power through the rest of it so normalcy can resume. I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like we will finish right on time (which is definitely a first for us!).

Estimated time for project: 7 weeks

Time remaining: 2 weeks

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us tomorrow for installment #8 of Karin and Jeff's renovation.

(Images and diary text: Karin and Jeff)

Created with Sketch.