Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We love our home's location: it's in a small, tucked-away neighborhood near Los Angeles's oldest park, yet we're also very close to downtown, most of the city's major freeways, and many great surrounding neighborhoods. We have a large outdoor area for gardening and relaxing, including avocado and lemon trees that shade our house. Our home also feels very efficient: utilities and rent are fairly low, and it's much easier to keep clean than the larger spaces we've lived in. It's also forced us to pare down our belongings quite a bit, which I've actually loved. Fewer things means fewer things to take care of, which is a great stress-reducer!
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Before we moved in, we had been living in a fairly large two-bedroom house in Illinois. We weren't sure what kind of space we would find in Los Angeles, so we moved most of our furniture and things with us. When we found this place, the only drawback was the size, so we decided to just tackle it. We had to sell or give away a lot of things and we had to adjust to living small, but ultimately the constraint led to an incredibly creative design experience, and has helped us hone our interior aesthetic.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We would love to build a covered area for our patio. We've been using a pop-up tent for the past couple of years, but the birds and sun are really starting to take their toll. We've been consulting outdoor living books from the 1950s and 1960s to create a simple and inexpensive design.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013