Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Kathy & Jared
- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We knew the apartment was perfect for us from all the natural lighting and the open floor plan. Although we are only on the third floor of our apartment building, we live on a hill that gives us great elevation so we can see the Manhattan skyline and the bay. Also, the second bedroom that we decided to utilize as our living room gives us the space to accommodate guests, and there is never a shortage of guests when you live in NYC.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. Keep It simple. For most people, apartment living provides limited space for belongings, so it's important to limit the things we do have and find them a home in places that don't make the apartment feel cluttered. There is a harmony when everything is where it belongs.
2. Make Color Pop. Like many renters, my landlord wont let us paint the walls in the apartment, but I believe a living space needs color. Using a more Scandinavian approach, we embrace the neutral by adding a white couch, white rug, and white shelving in out living room, allows the bits color we do have to stand out. Also, bringing plants into our apartment adds color, fresh air, and literally brings a new life to our living space.
3. Just Add Lamps. No matter what kind of light bulbs we tried, the light from the built in overhead fixtures and ceiling fans were always so harsh and unflattering. We were able to fix that problem by adding lamps that create a cozier ambiance in each room.
See all entries