Professional: Andrea Ivory of Andrea Ivory Decor
Client's Name: Katie
Location of Project: Fort Greene — Brooklyn, New York
The owner of this room, Katie, is a free spirit whose room did not reflect her personality. She knew she wanted a change, but had no idea how to get the project under way. While she was out of town for work, my designer friend Jen Chu and I decided that we would surprise her with a much-needed re-design. Taking inspiration from her wardrobe, which included about 50 scarves of various colors, we knew that Katie's personality was a little more on the "funky" side and we definitely wanted to bring that into her room.
Our first step was to freshen up the wall color. Because Katie is in her late 20s, we wanted to give her room a mature look while staying in the same color scheme. To offset the dark furniture and newly painted mantel, we chose to refurbish some of her existing pieces by painting them with bright colors. Since her wild array of scarves served as our inspiration, it only made sense to put them on display.
With a budget of only $250 and a time span of 3 days, we were able to transform her room into something that truly represented her. We will never forget the look on her face when she saw her room for the first time. This re-design may not have cost a fortune, but Katie's reaction was worth a million bucks.
- Paint: custom mixed color
- HOPEN bed: IKEA
- Sloane mahogany leaning desk: Crate & Barrel
- dresser: vintage
- Parsons microsuede desk chair: Target
- EXPEDIT bookshelf: IKEA
- LJUSAS YSBY lamp: IKEA
- Wallpaper border: discontinued
- Starburst sculpture: vintage
- Pillows: Target, Urban Outfitters & CB2 (discontinued)
- Side bench: thrift
- Mirror: thrift
- Coat rack: IKEA (discontinued)
Thanks Andrea, Jen & Katie!
You can see more images at Jen Chu's blog: JEN CHU DESIGN | Katie's Eclectic Room Makeover
PROFESSIONAL PROJECT SUBMISSION FORM
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Project Submission Form.