Name: Katy Minton and Emily Stroud
Location: Nashville, Tennesee
Size: 600 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year
When entering Katy and Emily’s home, you know their personality right away. Eclectic with a side of whimsy and a dash of smarty pants. From their “bitch please” embroidered hoop, to the taxidermied deer over the fireplace, to the poppy colors used in the home, you get an impression of two quirky interesting ladies you’re going to have fun with.
Katy and Emily’s apartment is part of a much larger home in the West End area of Nashville. The home has been carved into six smaller units with Katy and Emily’s being a two-room apartment on an upper level. The hardwood floors, high ceilings, and larger kitchen help make up for the teeny tiny (but well decorated) bathroom.
Katy and Emily’s love of Nashville and its music shine through many details. From a proudly displayed Bonnaroo lunchbox, to event posters, to albums displayed above their bed, their love of music is apparent. Their love of estate sales and thrifting has resulted in found pieces mixed with vintage and new. All in all, these ladies have created a home that is interesting and truly them. And it is a pleasure to spend time in.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: An eclectic, unique and colorful mix of old, new, found and rehabilitated items. We love that our apartment feels "lived in" and cozy.
Inspiration: We're inspired by all things vintage. We dig color, oddities, and we love to be surrounded by things that make us smile.
Katy- I developed my love for decorating when I worked in merchandising for Urban Outfitters. Each floor set change, the staff would use recycled items to create beautiful visual displays that were unique to the store. It inspired me to see
Favorite Element: The fireplace. We love the decor of the mantle and everything above it, especially the deer head.
Biggest Challenge: Decorating such a small space without it looking cluttered.
What Friends Say: They love our use of color and can't believe we own taxidermy.
Biggest Embarrassment: The size of the bathroom and steep stairs leading to the front door.
Proudest DIY: The mirror over the vanity covered in buttons. A neighbor put the mirror out for the trash crew. I snagged it, painted it, and covered it in buttons of all shapes and sizes. It took forever.
Biggest Indulgence: The DENY Designs duvet cover and matching pillows. I admit that we feel guilty about spending so much money on bedding, but it was worth every penny. Guests really love it and so do we.
Best Advice: Take pride in your space and keep it tidy. Coming home to a clean house is the best feeling ever! Take the extra thirty seconds to make your bed before you leave the house in the morning. You never know, it might inspire you to create a little order everywhere else. Also, surround yourself only by things you really love and connect with. Since our space is limited, we've been forced to be selective with decor items. It's nice to look around and love everything in the room.
PAINT & COLORS
- Pink paint in the bathroom: Porter Paints / Color: Red Cedar
- Blue paint in the living room/bedroom: Kilz Paints / Color: Blue Juniper
- Wooden arrows: Eskell (boutique in Chicago)
- Bitch Please" cross stitch: OMG Nashville
- "K" and "E" initial jewelry dishes: Anthropologie
- Bird: Estate sale
- "Valentine" painting: Given to me as a gift. Unknown artist
- Turntable: Urban Outfitters
- End tables: Nashville Flea Market
- Chair: World Market
- Area rug: World Market
- Pin tuck pillows: Urban Outfitters
- Green TV table: Discarded table w/ a DIY paint job
- Plates and bowls: Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters
- Coffee cups: Urban Outfitters, Southern Thrift
- Z barn wood door headboard: Nashville Flea Market
- Guns and roses duvet w/ matching pillows: DENY Designs
- Cross over bed: Pangaea Nashville
- Vinyl album frames: Urban Outfitters
- Metal tree jewelry holder: Urban Outfitters
- Dresser: Nashville Flea Market
- Dresser knobs: Hobby Lobby
- Red metal box: Target
- Mirror covered in buttons: DIY with found mirror (fancy way of saying I found it
- in the trash, painted it, and glues hundreds of buttons to it)
- Vanity: Southern Thrift
- Shower curtain: Urban Outfitters
- Wire "K" initial hook: Anthropologie
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!