Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love that this is the first apartment that I don’t have to share and is truly my own. For that reason, I was thrilled to have a blank canvas and loved having the chance to make my studio a reflection of my style and personality for the first time. When I first moved in, I had to pare down my possessions to only the essentials since at 287 square feet, there just wasn't room for anything else. Every item in my apartment is something that I chose carefully or that has personal meaning. Downsizing to such a tiny space has taught me to minimize waste and forced me to be more mindful in general about all of my purchases. When decorating, I tried to incorporate accents and pieces that create a relaxing, cozy and curated space, without over-decorating or creating an overwhelming space. I love that when I come home at the end of the day, my apartment is a place where I can unwind, relax and be surrounded by things that make me happy.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Hands down the biggest challenge of living in such a tiny space has been co-habitating with my cat, who is my best bud but tough to share a small space with. Not only does he become a ninja in the night (which can make sleeping a huge challenge), but I am vehemently opposed to letting my apartment become overtaken by “cat smells” and ugly cat accessories. I was forced to get creative about how to make it work with my cat in my studio, so I started by creating carved-out spaces for him to play, relax and sleep. I got a great little cat litter-house that hides the litter box in my bathroom, doubles as a storage shelf and does a great job of masking smells. I've also carved out time to play before bed every night, which has helped get us on the same sleeping schedule. Oh, and the five flights of stairs that lead up to my apartment are a challenge, to say the least. Once you go down, there’s no coming back up for anything you forgot!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- I would love to splurge on a lofted bed so that I can maximize my tiny living space more effectively. Right now my full-size bed takes up about half of my overall living space, but by raising it, I could probably double my living area. I would also love to replace my old natural-wood colored IKEA dresser for a more grown-up dresser that goes better with my white furniture, like one of West Elm’s awesome mid-century dressers. In addition, I’d probably want to feed my addiction to pretty pillows by purchasing some new pillow covers!
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013