- Khris and Valerie
- Seattle, WA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- There is a lot of natural "Old Seattle" character in our building, with its rugged brick walls and 1920s details. The small size of the apartment suits us. Since we can see the TV from the living room AND the bedroom, we start each morning by taking our coffee and phones back to bed to watch the a.m. news, read emails, and hang out together before getting ready for work. We like to think of our apartment as a rustic cozy squirrel den, and it's romantic to share a small space.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- A lack of storage is always an issue. We're constantly moving things around to keep the space functional. It's all about finding creative opportunities for storing things. The antique chamber pots and crocks are attractive hiding places for craft supplies, and simple white boxes on a high shelf in the bedroom conceal books and papers and other inevitable 'stuff'. The low closet by the front door is our secret mini-brewery containing 2 glass fermenting carboys full of home brewed beer. There's no need to compromise our hobbies just because of a lack of square footage!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- A vintage Formica kitchen table would be a great addition to our place, and there was this chair at an antique store that is still calling our names. We would definitely make good use of the prize money should it come our way!