The key to keeping a somewhat clean space with kids is to have a very clear organization for their toys and arts and crafts. When kids feel they can actually put away their belongings quickly, it can be a game. If they feel like they will never meet the expectations, then they will let the parents clean up.
As far as arts and crafts are concerned, there are some solutions that seems very simple to implement:
• Mom's Crafty Space has an Upcycled Montessori-Styled Crayon Holder Tutorial for us which I love, not only is it beautiful, but it's also a good exercise for color sorting.
• I heart Organizing made an art caddy, using chalk paint, so it can be personalized by the kids to their taste.
• Cheeky Kitchen shared the organization of their pantry, which includes a shelf for arts and crafts, and their use of tincans with simple labels.
• A Bowl Full of Lemons brings us the over-the-door shoe organizer as arts and crafts organizer.
• One Orange Giraffe has the Portable Art Studio, which is essential a craft bucket with pockets around it. Simple, and easy to organize supplies in.
(Images: as linked above)