I like my kids' rooms with only one lump of sugar, not two. Because you don't need lavender kittens with bows to signal that a wee one's in there. These five rooms, featuring large scale painted murals, are great because they are certainly kid-friendly, without being overly twee. Each is strong, graphic, and perfect inspiration for parents who want to get creative.
1. This super interactive mural from The Madras Designery features both chalkboard and pin-up areas that kids can use to add to the scenery themselves.
2. Tereasa from Camp Wandawega created this amazing and kitschy paint-by-number mural for her son. Perfect for their spot in the Wisconsin woods. via The Lettered Cottage
3. This pretty chinoiserie-style mural, by Kristen Davis for a client, shows that soft and subtle works wonders too.
4. Max approves of Pacquita Maher's recreation of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. I love dark and brooding for a kid's room.
5. Annie and her husband Eric used (a lot of) painters tape to get this muted city skyline perfect for their son Victor's nursery. Check out photos to see the whole process, and be amazed.
(Images: as linked above)