Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Washington , DC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- This is our first place we've owned, so being able to finally turn a space into exactly what we want and express ourselves throughout the entire place has been a dream come true. When we started looking for a place to buy, we knew we wanted a fixer-upper so we could truly make the house our home. We wanted something with great bones - that was really the only "must have" on our wish list. We both fell in love with the inherent character and charm of this building the minute we stepped inside. I love mixing the old and new, so I was instantly excited about using the spaces as a wonderful backdrop for our more modern furniture.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- The biggest challenge of living in a small space is the change in lifestyle that goes with it, which we find to also be the biggest advantage of living in a small space. You can no longer be someone who shops obsessively, you can no longer hold on to everything just in case you might need it in five years. Each purchase and each item we choose to keep has to serve a purpose or be a necessity. Storage becomes a luxury, and you learn quickly what has importance to you and what you can live without.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Oh man, buying a fixer-upper means there is no shortage of ongoing projects in our house! Our next big project will be turning what was previously a closet into a built-in media and storage unit for the living room. It's all about maximizing what little storage us small spacers have!
See all entries