I spent the majority of my life living just a stone's throw from the water's edge. Nothing makes me feel more at peace than feeling the sand beneath my toes combined with the taste and smell of the salt air. For my dream escape, I'm going back to one of my favorite places to do just that, Costa Rica.
One of the best times in my life was when I spent a few weeks traveling around Costa Rica. I was on a pretty fixed budget, so while I snuck in a few mediocre but nice digs, I couldn't afford my fantasy lodging. It doesn't need to be ultra-luxe — a simple, surf-inspired vibe will suit me just fine.
1. Earth by Serena Mitnik-Miller, Watercolor on paper an original artwork at Planet, $2,200.
2. Farolillo Fat Suspension Light, YLighting, $1,204.
3. Tayrona Hammock, Anthropologie, $49.95.
4. MASH Studios Platform Bed, 2Modern, $1,190.
5. Lapis Quilt & Shams, John Robshaw Textiles, $395 and $80.
6. Bubbles Ceramic Side Table, West Elm, $129.
7. The California Surf Project, by Eric Soderquist and Chris Burkard, Chronicle Books, $35.
8. Flat-braided Jute Rug, Pottery Barn (only available in 3x5), $139.
(Images: Collage by Kimber Watson; Images as linked above.)