- San Francisco, CA
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- The rest of my house is colorful, eclectic and multi-layered, but my bedroom is very different in feeling, with gentle colors and accessories. Nothing slick or modern; all the built-in shelves and cupboards are simple and kind of rustic. It's in the back of the house on the top floor, so it's quiet with lots of natural light. It's also my only "room with a view," and I enjoy looking out the corner windows at the cityscape and my neighbor's trees and the birds living in them. My bedroom is definitely a retreat and a sanctuary (almost literally, given all the antique religious figures and art I like to collect!)
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- I am lucky to have windows on three walls (5 in all), and I like to leave them partly open at night for the cross breezes. Keeping it picked up and making the bed every morning is key, as that immediately gives me a sense of order and calm when I enter. Other essentials are flowers on the bedside table and a potted plant or two (often lavender, which is supposedly a sleep aid.) Finally, no TV (or red wine!) allowed.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- I like using it as a second library once spring comes. I have a little downstairs sitting room/library that is cozy when it's cold, but when the weather is nice, it is such a treat to relax with a book or a magazine on the corner chaise while the cats sprawl on the bed with the sun streaming in. (Sorry for the poor quality of the last shot, but it is the only one that shows the entry view accurately.)
My Bedroom Retreat