I'm still a bit amazed by the transformation that took place over the course of one month. Normally I'm a bit of a "slow decorator," mulling over options and collecting pieces as I come across them. Having a set deadline and a plan pushed me to be a bit more proactive about seeking out what I wanted, and determining a style in advance helped me keep my usual design ADD in check.
The bedroom was a good clean slate to start with, a neutral base with just the essentials, as we shed many of our belongings in a recent cross country move, into an apartment less than half the size of our previous one. It was the perfect starting point but was lacking in style, color, and personality, not to mention the fact that we were getting by without proper nightstands and relying on just the overhead lighting.
We had a pretty tight budget (just over $300), and I'm happy to say that with a lot of DIY projects and some trips to the thrift store and local shops in the Mission we were able to stick to it. The headboard was the biggest undertaking — lining up a pattern can be tricky, and because we couldn't get one piece in the size we needed, I ended up having to match the pattern and create seams along the edges. I also refinished a tree stump and turned it into a nightstand on the one side, whipped up some simple, sewing machine-less pillow covers, and spray painted a $5 thrift store task lamp metallic gold.
The nightstand on the other side was purchased from Urban Outfitters for $99, and the papel picados, religious candles, airplant and California bear were all picked up in little shops in the Mission, inspired by my "Treasure Hunt" on day 2.
The dogs approve.
Resources: Headboard Fabric, Side Table, California Print, Pillow Fabric, Sheepskin Rug, Candles, Papel Picados, Rug, Poster, Dreamcatcher, Wardrobe, Knobs, Pillowcases, Curtains
MORE OF KIM'S STYLE CURE:
• Kim's Interview: Strong Visual Impact
• Kim's Treasure Hunt: City Culture & Style
• Kim's Before Photos: Work in Progress Bedroom
• Kim’s Floor Plan: Compact and Cozy
• Kim's Paint & Pairing: Deep Blue + Mismatched Nightstands
• Kim’s Project + Product Research: DIY Headboard & Sourcing Nightstands
• Kim's Shopping Day: Swatches, Supplies and Narrowing Down the Options
• Kim's Project Progress: Measuring, Ordering & Minding the Details
• Kim's Project: Tips for Buying Fabric Online and Refinishing Raw Wood
(Images: Kim Lucian)