After spending the long weekend in a small cabin in Wisconsin, I'm beginning to reconsider my urban life. Or, at least, I'm reconsidering whether I'd like to someday have a small weekend home in a rural setting. I went in search of kit houses for inspiration and, like a good blogger, I'm sharing the information with you, dear reader. Start dreaming of your tiny vacation home now!• Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
— These houses have been on our radar since way back in 2005
. Tumbleweed offers three kinds of structures: Box Bungalows (around 100 square feet), Houses to Go (from 65 to 170 square feet) and Cottages (from 250 to 800 square feet). All units can be purchased ready made or build it yourself.
• Bungalow in a Box — This Woolwich, Maine based company creates weathertight panel frame structures. With pre-cut components, you can quickly assemble cottages, camps, garages, home offices and studios. Units can be built on an onsite foundation in a matter of days.
• Ideabox — Ideabox creates modern structures that range in size from 200 to over 1,500 square feet. The Portland, Oregon based company will also work with customers to find a site and get a feel for the budget for a house.
• Noble Home — I'm a sucker for an A-frame so of Noble Homes' 2 models, this one is my favorite. The A-frame design, which Noble simply calls their Small Home, is a standard 570 square foot house kit plan, with available sleeping loft. (Sigh! This is my absolute dream dwelling!) They also offer a Standard Home, which ranges from an 800 square foot 1-bedroom to a 1,280 square foot 3-bedroom.
• Shelter Kit If you really plan to DIY a kit house, take a look at Shelter Kit. Shelter Kit includes a detailed Construction Manual, which includes drawings and step-by-step instructions, specifically created for each customer's kit. Invite the gang over for a good old fashioned house raising!
• Wee House — Alchemy Architects has gotten a lot of attention for their Wee Houses. As they should – the structures are adorably modern. 435 square foot studios – perfect for a little weekend house – start at $79,000. Alchemy also offers 3 other size homes: a 1,450 square foot, 2 bedroom home; a 1,335 square foot split level; and a 1,765 square foot stacked home.
• Zamore Homes Houston based Zamore Homes makes ready-to-assemble kits built with off-the-shelf components. They're able to flat pack the pieces for easy and affordable shipping. Units range in size from small studios to 3-bedroom homes.
Images: As credited above.