Cork is a fantastically eco-friendly material: it's renewable and sustainbly harvested, anti-bacterial, moisture repellent, slip resistant, soft underfoot and non-allergenic. So it's no surprise someone finally decided to turn it into a yoga mat. Korq mats help your sun salutations with one of nature's best materials, not PVC.
Amongst the sea of building materials at GreenBuild, I found these awesome yoga mats at a cork flooring booth, which was a refreshing find. According to Korq, over 90% of yoga mats are made from PVC — a toxic material, which takes decades to decompose. Korq mats are different — they're handmade in NYC from natural cork combined with an eco-friendly foam base. The mats come with either a colorful natural cotton or cork edge binding. All mats are sold with a matching Korq yoga strap. While this could be one of the best yoga mats out there, the biggest flaw is probably the price — $150!
- Odorless, non-toxic, PVC-free, chlorides-free, latex-free
- Anti-slip cork surface
- Dense foam support
- Naturally water-repellent, anti-microbial, anti-fungal
- Recyclable and biodegradable
Buy It Here: Korq Yoga Mat, $150
More GreenBuild 2010:
- Make It Right's Affordable LEED Platinum Tips
- Native Trails: Artisan Crafted Home Fixtures
- IdeaPaint is Awarded GREENGUARD Certification!
- Mint Condition Homes: Vintage Inspired, Green Sensibilities
- BuildingGreen's Top 10 Products for 2010
- The 10 Most Exciting Products at GreenBuild
- Interview: Jay Bolus of McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry