- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The open plan space of the living room/kitchen/dining room is what we love most. We like hosting dinner parties for about 4-8 friends – and with the kitchen just a few feet away, it allows my partner Mike to cook and entertain at the same time. I scooped up a mid-century modern teak table with an expandable leaf that allows us to get more than half a dozen folks over for a sit-down.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Did I say we like to cook and entertain? Well that’s a tall order when you have a pullman kitchen. I gave up a regular height fridge for an under-the-counter one to gain some counter space. A skinny, tall stainless steel kitchen worktable also maximized the floor space and provided some much needed prep area. Luckily, Mike is extra-ordinarily handy in such tight cooking quarters, but we’d definitely prefer more kitchen space.
Storage space is always a huge issue (no pun intended). While the floor plan makes it seem like there’s a lot of closets, the closets are small, so I turned one end of the bedroom into a wall to wall closet about three feet by ten feet, using Elfa shelving and linen curtains. It really worked wonders keeping everything organized.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Does taking a trip to an exotic locale to buy furniture count? We went to Nicaragua last year and aside from the surf and warm weather, there’s a lot of fine wooden furniture available. We’d definitely love to go again and find an update for our coffee table.