Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The open plan space of the living room/kitchen/dining room is what we love most. We like hosting dinner parties for about 4-8 friends – and with the kitchen just a few feet away, it allows my partner Mike to cook and entertain at the same time. I scooped up a mid-century modern teak table with an expandable leaf that allows us to get more than half a dozen folks over for a sit-down.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Did I say we like to cook and entertain? Well that’s a tall order when you have a pullman kitchen. I gave up a regular height fridge for an under-the-counter one to gain some counter space. A skinny, tall stainless steel kitchen worktable also maximized the floor space and provided some much needed prep area. Luckily, Mike is extra-ordinarily handy in such tight cooking quarters, but we’d definitely prefer more kitchen space.
Storage space is always a huge issue (no pun intended). While the floor plan makes it seem like there’s a lot of closets, the closets are small, so I turned one end of the bedroom into a wall to wall closet about three feet by ten feet, using Elfa shelving and linen curtains. It really worked wonders keeping everything organized.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Does taking a trip to an exotic locale to buy furniture count? We went to Nicaragua last year and aside from the surf and warm weather, there’s a lot of fine wooden furniture available. We’d definitely love to go again and find an update for our coffee table.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013