Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Seattle, WA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- It's definitely been refreshing for us to move into a smaller home, as our last apartment was nearly 1200 square feet. We're both pretty quiet people, and our dogs are total couch potatoes, making a large apartment pretty unnecessary. It's been very freeing to downsize, as we now have less to clean and we're really able to focus on making each area of the apartment something that we really love. The William Morris quote "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" really rings true for us. Also, we love all of the natural light that we get being in a corner unit. In a city like Seattle, big windows in a home can make a huge difference!
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Surprisingly, the biggest challenge hasn't been storage! We're very lucky to have a lot of built in storage in our apartment, so combined with a bit of creativity, we've been able to store everything that two people and two large dogs could ever need. The size of our kitchen, however, leaves much to be desired. It's definitely a "one butt" kitchen, which makes cooking together (something that we really enjoy doing) a challenge. Our smaller kitchen also means that we have to be very organized with all of our kitchen gear to be able to fit everything! We still have to store some of it elsewhere, though... we even have a couple of small kitchen appliances in our bedroom closet!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Our winnings would definitely go to upgrading some of the furnishing and lighting in our home. We would probably upgrade our dining chairs, the desk chair, and our nightstands in the bedroom. We would also see if our landlord would let us use that money to rip out the carpet in the middle of the living room and replace it with more tile (who puts carpet in the middle of tile?!).
See all entries