Name: Tyler Stonebreaker - CEO of Creative Space and Kristina Stonebreaker - Director of Sales and Marketing for Korovilas Clothing
Location: Whitley Heights - Los Angeles, CA
Size: 3,000 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years
Kristina had always dreamed of living in a classic Spanish-style house. When she and Tyler got married and decided to create a home together, they left Tyler's modern home and moved to a house in Whitley Heights, a historic area of Los Angeles. They've slowly started merging their two styles, keeping the decor minimal and somewhat contemporary, while still honoring the architecture of the home.
Kristina and Tyler really enjoy the new neighborhood. The residents who own homes in the area are an eclectic, friendly mix who all gather for an annual holiday party. When the homes were first built, the neighbors were even more communal - there is a door that leads to Kristina and Tyler's neighbor's house in their backyard and residents used the door to borrow milk and eggs. While things have changed a bit since then, it's wonderful to see the architecture and charm of their home still intact after all these years!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Fun/eclectic/colorful, clean and modern with a mix of high end designer pieces and vintage.
Inspiration: To make a comfortable, flexible environment for living and entertaining. Our design was inspired by our travels through Europe and Africa.
Favorite Element: Historic pine trees that were planted in 1921, when the house was built.
Biggest Challenge: The family room, because the scale and dimensions of the room made space planning and decorating a bit of a challenge.
What Friends Say: It's comfortable, fun and a happy place to be.
Biggest Embarrassment: Our 17-year-old cat who we love endlessly, but still isn't potty trained.
Proudest DIY: We are both not the handiest people, so for us it would be touch up painting and hanging picture frames.
Biggest Indulgence: Our sofa.
Best Advice: To really live in the space before making major changes.
Dream Sources: Antique Houssman mirrors from Parisian flea markets, and the medina in Marrakech for rugs.
Resources of Note:
- Wolf oven and range
- Bosch double oven
- Thermador Refrigerator
- Miele dishwasher
FURNITURE & LIGHTING
- Sofa: Roche Bobois Mah Jong
- Kitchen Table: Design within Reach Platner Table
- Kitchen Chairs: Cisco Home with Knoll Fabric COM
- Dining Room Table and Benches: Custom made from Living Room in silverlake (all locally sourced and produced from recycled wood)
- White High Back chairs in Living Room: Self designed by Kristina and locally fabricated
- Master Bedroom End Tables: Self designed by Kristina and locally fabricated
- Master Bedroom Dresser: Vintage from Sunset Bazaar
- Master Bedroom Club Chair found on eBay
- Peacock chairs in Master Bedroom and Family Room: vintage from Etsy
- Family Room Coffee Table Mid-Century Vintage from Mosaik 1940's
- Mid century vintage blue trunk (converted to entertainment console) from Berbere
- Chair in guest bedroom from H.D. Buttercup
- Small Side Table in Master Bedroom from Marbella Imports on La Brea
- Family Room End Table from Fairfax Flea Market
- Family Room Pot and Plant from Rolling Greens Nursery
- Outdoor Furniture on Balcony from Restoration Hardware
- Office Desk from West Elm
- Office Desk Chair Saarinen Tulip Chair from Knoll
- Office Built-in Bookshelf was custom made from Northwestern Inc.
- Office End Table from Room Service
- Table Runner Fabric I bought from Grand Bazaar in Istanbul
- Pillows in Guest Bedroom from Cisco Home
- Pillow on Chair in Guest Bedroom Fabric from Istanbul
- Tall Entry Table in Foyer from Mosaik
- Lanterns in Dining Room from Mosaik
- Office Desk Top Accessories from Etro
- Outdoor Pillows Sunbrella Fabric from International Silks & Woolens and had made into pillows
- Dining Room Lanterns on Floor from Mosaik
- Antique Late 1800's Peruvian mirrors in Family Room
- Throw Blankets from Missoni and West Elm
- Kitchen Light from Cisco Home
- Dining Room Pendant Lights from Cisco Home
- Dining room sconces Mosaik
- Guest Bedroom Lighting from Cisco Home
- Master Bedroom Lamps Vintage from Sunset Bazaar with New Custom Shade
- Master Bedroom Pendant Light Vintage from Casa Victoria
- Stairwell Light Vintage from Cisco Home
- Family Room Floor Lamp Vintage from Sunset Bazaar with New Custom Shade
- Office Desk Lamp Jonathon Adler
- Dining Room, Family Room, and Guest Bedroom: Cielo Blanco from Dunn-Edwards
- Kitchen Master Bathroom and Guest Bedroom: Porous Stone from Dunn-Edwards
- Powder Room Bathroom: Farrow & Ball
- Master Bedroom: Ashen Plum
- The floors were like this when we bought the house and we loved it.
RUGS & CARPETS
- Family Room: FLOR Carpet Tiles
- Master Bedroom Moroccon Wedding Blanket Vintage imported from Morocco
- Office Vintage Missoni from Living Room in Silverlake
- Dining Room Vintage Persian rug from Importer
- Guest Bedroom Vintage Moroccan rug from Mosaik
- Office Curtains from Restoration Hardware
- Family Room Curtains from Restoration Hardware
- Master Bedroom Curtains from previous owner
- Slim Aarons photograph from Photographer's Gallery
- Vintage Moroccan photographs from Morocco
- Fairfax Flea Market
- Rose Bowl Flea Market
- New Orleans' Artist Portrait of our Dog
- Gallery in Moscow, Russia
Thanks, Kristina & Tyler!
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.