- Kansas City, MO
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love that I moved into this condo as a single, college student and have over the last 6 years added first a dog, then a husband, a daughter and now another baby on the way. Our home has completely adapted to each new stage and forced me to press into new ways of thinking about design. Every room started out with builder's beige paint on the walls and zero personality. Now, every room reflects who we are as a family. We've added wood beams, crown molding, tiled walls, a new bathroom vanity, swapped every light fixture...the list goes on and on. Everything we can change, we have. I love that a small home restricts you to tweaking and perfecting the few rooms you do have to work with. With all of our energy being poured into such a concentrated area, we ended up with spaces we love.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- By far, the biggest challenge has been floor plan. I think our couch has been in fifteen different places over the years! We've flipped our living room into our dining room and back again. We've given our kids the master bedroom. We've had to expand the kitchen with room for eat-in barstools. Every year has brought either a dog, a spouse, or a kid which means more chairs around the dinner table and more mattresses! I've learned to never think of things as inflexible - there's always a piece that can be rethought, repurposed, or revamped. But my greatest lesson with living in a small space is if you don't love something, lose it. There isn't enough room for anything that doesn't truly work or that you don't truly love. It took me a long time to embrace that philosophy, but it's been my best editor.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- If we were the winners, I would either want to splurge and buy a super comfortable sectional or go nuts and pay a painter to have one of our rooms professionally lacquered. My husband would probably opt for practicality and persuade us to hold on to the money for future projects when we try to buy a house later this year!
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day