Flexible water bottles, hand soap derived from biofuel, and a machine that extracts water from air were among the innovations shown at Go Green Expo in Los Angeles this weekend. After scouring the show for the most useful and well-designed goods and services, we thought we'd share these 10 favorites…TOP ROW
• 1 PeopleTowels – A portable, absorbent, and quick-drying cloth alternative to paper towels. We bet the fun designs make these a great conversation starter.
• 2 Knoend Bean Rockers – Surprisingly comfortable, ergonomic, and lightweight seats made from FSC-certified maple plywood and organic cotton.
• 3 EcoSmart Fire – Modern and contemporary design fireplaces fueled by clean-burning denatured alcohol. (Your take: Hot or Not?)
• 4 The Woven Company Window Shades – A Vietnamese family-owned company makes these beautiful window coverings from rapidly-renewable bamboo and grasses.
• 5 Vapur – Although we're not in love with this reusable bottle's plastic material (it is BPA-free), we really like how flexible it is, allowing it to be rolled, folded, and tucked into a bag or pocket.
• 6 Cyber Rain – A sprinkler control system that uses weather updates from the Internet to adjust the amount and time your sprinklers water.
• 7 Eco-Me Kits – Kits to help you mix your own cleaning, body, and pet products using vinegar, baking soda, and essential oil.
• 8 Further Hand Soap – The glycerin in this soap is a byproduct of restaurant grease converted into biofuel. It's fragranced with essential oils of bergamot, olive, and grasses.
• 9 Knauf Insulation EcoBatt – Fiberglass insulation made with rapidly-renewable organic materials rather than petroleum-based materials. It also contains a minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled glass and no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics, or artificial colors.
• 10 Dewpointe – A water generator that extracts and filters moisture from the air, creating clean drinking water. The volume of water collected depends on the humidity of your location; in LA, it's about 2-3 gallons in 24 hours.
Did you attend Go Green Expo? If so, what caught your eye?
The event will travel to New York City, Philadelphia, and Atlanta later this spring. For more information, visit Go Green Expo.
(Images: PeopleTowels, Kari Orvik/Knoend, EcoSmart Fire, The Woven Company, Vapur, Cyber Rain, Eco-Me, Further, EcoBatt, Dewpointe)