CurbedLA has an interesting and heated topic that not only affects Los Angeles, but almost all of the nation where urban sprawl has gone off the deep end. Whichever side of the fence you sit upon, McMansions are a hot button topic, and it looks like the LA City Council has stepped out against the trend with a unanimous approval of the Baseline Mansionization Ordinance, restricting maximum residential floor size in relation to lot size...
[Photo: Don Bartletti/Los Angeles Times]
As one reader notes: "..different percentages for different zones. The size of your home will depend on what zone you are in and how big your lot is." Below are the minimum lot sizes and their maximum allowances according to this ordinance (PDF download).
Zone Minimum Lot Size Maximum SFR Floor Area
- R1 5,000 sq-ft 3,000 sq-ft
- RS 7,500 sq-ft 4,050 sq-ft
- RE9 9,000 sq-ft 4,320 sq-ft
- RE11 11,000 sq-ft 5,280 sq-ft
- RE15 15,000 sq-ft 6,300 sq-ft
- RA 17,500 sq-ft 5,250 sq-ft
- RE20 20,000 sq-ft 8,400 sq-ft
- RE40 40,000 sq-ft 16,800 sq-ft