Plenty of people equate Labor Day with the start of pigskin season. But even if you don't know a touchdown from a 1st down, it's a great time to get your hands on some amazing deals in the HDTV category. Right now retailers are trying to dump a glut of inventory, which means you can get that model you've been eyeing for a good price...
Labor Day Sales
Labor Day sales are the secret black friday of summer, with retailers marking down products with huge discounts and sales before the holiday season begins (especially 40" and larger models). Pick up a brand new big screen TV, universal remote, kegerator, and all your football party needs this holiday and prepare for the season ahead. Here are some of the most choice deals right now:
The LG 50PV450 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV usually retails at $1400, but Amazon is offering it for $749.99. That's 46% off.
If you're looking for 3D, there's the 41% off retail LG Infinia 47LW6500 47" Cinema 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV (includes: Four Pairs of 3D Glasses); usually $1900 but now just $1109.56.
If Samsung is what you're looking for, there's this Samsung UN55D7000 55" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV model with stylish metal furniture-style pedestal for almost 40% off; retails for $3199, but Amazon has it for a much nicer $1939.18.
One of the best Sony deals is the Sony BRAVIA KDL46NX720 46" 1080p 3D LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi, The all black display retails for $2100, but you can nab one now for $1298.18. That's 38% off.
If you're more of brick and mortar type, check out this 40" Sharp AQUOS Quattron LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV for just $599.99 at Best Buy (usually sells for $1,099.99)
Sears is offering the Sony 55" Class BRAVIA EX720-Series LED LCD HDTV for $1699.99, which is a $700.00 savings.
- Labor Day Weekend Special Sales & Events Calendar
The Big Screen TV
Ok, let's get the important thing out of the way. You need an awesomely huge TV for a great football experience.
- The Buyer's Guide to HDTV Terminology
- How Big is Too Big? Finding the Right TV, Not Just Biggest
- Why Buying a HDTV Can Be Like Buying a Mattress
- HDTV Shopping: The Little Extras That Make A Difference
- HDTV Shopping: Navigating Nonsensical Selling Points
- High & Low: 60" to 85" Big Screen TVs
- Keeping Your Eyes Healthy During a TV Marathon
- How to: Buy the Right TV For Your Space
- Save Money and Choose the Right HD Screen Resolution
- 3 Unique Ways to Mount Your Flat-Screen TV
- Best Examples of Wall Mounted TVs
- How To Choose the Right TV Wall Mount
- How High Should You Mount Your TV?
- The No-Cost Way to Mount a Flat-Screen TV
- What To Do With Hanging Wires From A Television?
Art of the Man Cave
The man cave and football go together like beer and chips. Upgrade from just the big screen TV to a full out man's room!
- Back To Prehistoric Times: The Man Cave
- 3 Man-Datory Tech Goodies for Our Man Cave
- Good Questions: Suggestions for Basement Man-Cave
- Close-Up: Scott's Ultimate Man Cave
Make Sure Everyone Stays Properly Hydrated!
Make sure everyone stays out of danger and doesn't go thirsty. After all, you've got to do something to keep yourself busy between plays. That's a long playclock after all!
- The Lush Life: The Technologist's Bartender
- Underappreciated Home Tech: An Ode to the Kegerator
- Arkeg: The Kegerator Meets Gaming System
- Monitor Your Beer Stash with the Kegbot
- Asahi Beerbot
- Final Frame: iPhone App Chooses, Shoots Beer from Fridge
- Hack: Get the Perfect Pour of Beer with Your iPhone
- Dual System Draft Beer Dispenser
Get Your Grill On
Burgers and hotdogs are the perfect compliments to beer and chips when you're watching football on the big screen. Get your BBQ fired up for the season!
- Get Your House Party Sponsored Online (with Free Food!)
- More Important to Keep a Party House or a Cozy Abode?
- Your Grill-Out Partner: The Talking Wireless Thermometer
- Digital BBQ Tongs Come Equipped with LCD & LED
- 5 Grilling Gadgets That Will Help Your Next BBQ
- Hi Tech Tools for a Summer BBQ
- Propane Tank Gauge
- 5 Great Barbecues to Liven Up Your Parties
- Plek66 Compact Barbecue
- Woodflame Automated Portable BBQ
- Use the Gastar miGrill Portable Gas Grill to Jazz Up Any BBQ
Going To The Game
If you're heading to the game, make sure you check the view from your seats in advance and prep for tailgating.
- Check out Seats 3D Before You Buy Event Tickets
- Tailgate Teck! Get Ready for Beer, Brats and Football!
- PIZZONI Backpack BBQ Grill
Football season means fantasy football. We were all so scared of losing it during the lockout, but the season's on and we've got our team drafted and our roster set to go! Stay in touch with football news and even set your fantasy football roster on the go with your smartphone and a data connection.
- Yahoo! Fantasy Football
- ESPN Fantasy Football
- NFL Fantasy Football
- ESPN Fantasy Football On Mobile
- Yahoo! Football for your phone
Know Your Game Schedules
While it's inevitable that something's going to get scheduled during the middle of an important football game (they're all important!), make sure you know in advance that nothing conflicts with the must-see games! Preview the game schedule and scan for big matchups or your favorite teams, and mark it on the calendar as a big Do Not Disturb.
- 2011 NFL Regular Season Schedule
- 2011 NFL Post Season Schedule/Bracket
- 2011 NCAA Football Regular Season Schedule (Fox Sports)
The Morning After
Gameday was a hit - your team won and all your friends went home full and happy. Unfortunately your home may look like the aftermath of a frat party. Beer bottles and caps and food all over the place. Launch your robotic vacuum army or use a human powered one and get your house in order!
- Best Vacuum Roundup: Dyson, Miele, Electrolux, Airider... (Apartment Therapy)
- Good Questions: Best Vacuum Cleaner for Small Spaces?
- The Dirt Detective: Roomba 770
- iRobot Roomba 530
- Robot Invasion: A New Wave of Roomba Alternatives
- Mint Automatic Floor Cleaner
- Best Home Cleaning Devices
- The Buyer's Guide to HDTV Terminology