Laken, the college freshman we introduced you to last week, is all moved in and set up, and ready to start classes this week. She took her college blah dorm and turned it into something personal and comfortable. Want to see what she did with her space?
Let's break it down, and see what Laken did to make it work:
1. Configured her furniture, i.e. raised the bed, to allow for more storage. As a result, the dresser, some storage bins and a hamper fit nicely underneath and stay out of sight.
2. Bought a variety of textiles for color, pattern, and texture. Pillows and throw blanket are all from World Market
. The red comforter is from Target
, and finally, the sheepskin is Ikea
3. Hung a simple vintage bird print using a wooden skirt hanger and Command strips
(a.k.a. the college student's best friend)
4. Layed an area rug, also from World Market
, over ugly commercial carpeting.
5. Constructed a bed canopy to cover up unsightly vents, and to create some sculptural interest. Check back in tomorrow for a post on how to create one yourself for under $30.
6. Added minimal additional furniture, by way of a vintage chair that folds up when not in use and can be stowed away in the closet.
Bravo Laken — you are a style maven, and did an amazing job! Thanks for being gracious enough to share your room with us, and we wish you the best of luck in your first year of college…
MORE OF LAKEN'S DORM ROOM REDO:
(Images: Dabney Frake)