Now I know that not all moms are the same, but if yours is remotely like mine (a tech lover) then here are some great last minute gift ideas as a followup to our recent roundup that are sure to delight her heart.
Last Minute Gift Ideas for the Tech Loving Mom:
1. Apps. You probably could have guessed this one judging from the lead image of my mom with her iPad (yes, that really is my mom's hands and her iPad). My mom adores her iPad but she hates spending money on apps, she sees this as a luxury and despite wanting several paid apps she does not buy them. Giving someone an app is simple and takes only a few seconds, making the gift of apps something that works well last minute. Other great last minute gift certificate ideas include Kindle books, Skype credit, and digital magazine subscriptions.
2. Organize Her Photos into Photo Books: Depending on your mom's image library this one could take some time, but I've been able to get "sneaky" with her photos on her computer for a few hours during a visit and accomplish this one. If you do the organizing and editing, you can order the book right from the photo software (I use iPhoto for this) and then show her the mock up of what it will look like when she receives it in the mail.
3. Family Photo Shoot: It seems to be a pretty universal thing among the moms I know, mine included, that they love photos of their children all together. Just as much as mom loves the photos, we kids are not thrilled to take them. The biggest issue is time — it's rare that we are all in one place and have the time to sit for photos which almost no one ever looks good in. For this gift, you will need the cooperation of your siblings. Schedule a photo shoot before the big day and have the photo printed at your local photo store or image kiosk in a department store. This is a gift I've been able to tackle on Mother's Day (snagged a photo when mom was in the other room and ran off to Target to print it) although I don't recommend cutting it that close!
4. Continuing ED: Of course not all moms want to delve deeper into photography or website building, but for those who do, a gift of classes at the local community college or online or on the computer is just the thing. My mom loves to learn more about ways to get creative with her tech and she'd adore it if her kids signed her up for these classes, or gave her a certificate to use for the tuition so she can pick her own.
5. Handmade Sleeve: Another thing my mom loves is when her kids make her something. While none of us kids are quite the sewing superstar that mom is, I have enough skill to whip up a simple sleeve for her iPad or phone in a few hours (that's my handiwork above). Want to make this gift extra special? Use part of your old elementary school sweatshirt or baby onesie for the material and she'll treasure the sleeve forever.
What last minute tech gifts have you given your mom that were a big hit?
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)