One of the reasons that Jill Vegas' book is a great one to have on your shelves is that she has a ton of lists that help with last-minute makeovers. We love her quick and inexpensive last-minute cocktail party prep tips.
1. Clean up the clutter; Hide all those stacks of papers.
2. Make an instant side table: Stack magazines on the floor and top it was a bowl of nuts.
3. Make surfaces shine. Spray and polish all mirrors and glass until they gleam.
4. Put out a vase of fresh flowers.
5. Turn down the lights, and festoon the room with candles to light moments before the guests arrive.
These tips could be used after a full, deep cleaning, or in place of one, especially because dimmed lights mean it's harder to notice any dirt or clutter!