Name: Laura Blythman and 4-year-old Alexander
Location: Melbourne's eastern suburbs, Australia
Size: 3 bedrooms, living, and dining
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rental
A darling of the thriving Melbourne art and design world, Laura Blythman is known for her bright, neon watercolor collages and playful illustrations and designs. So it's no surprise her home is full of color, art and life, a real reflection of the explosion of color that must be in Laura's head constantly. Having a 4-year-old who loves horses in residence also helps add to the fun vibe of the Blythman household.
When you walk into Laura's home, you immediately notice three things: the color everywhere, the light and the beautiful quiet of being away from the city. Living a spacious three bedroom home means Laura can work from home creating new designs and collages while looking after 4-year-old Alexander.
Their home is fun and kid-friendly. The lovely big windows allow the colors in the art and white walls to pop and give the home a warm, inviting feel. Laura's love of other people's artistry is clear as you walk around and spy many other local Australian designers' work. She's also a bit of a bargain hunter with a number of pieces of furniture sourced on Ebay or found in thrift stores.
Mostly though, being in Laura's home reminds you of why it's good to never take yourself too seriously, and just how grand life is. It's amazing how just being in a fun colorful space full of kid-like innocence can change your mood.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Colourful, Happy, Nostalgic, Fun, Eclectic, Warm and friendly.
Inspiration: Colour, art, humour.
Favorite Element: The bright light, the trees out of every window, the lush garden that I don’t have to look after, all of my things.
Biggest Challenge: I rent, so I am limited in what I can do.
What Friends Say:
“This place is like ‘Laura’ in house form”
“The couch is super comfy to sleep on!”
“I wish I was allowed to have so much pink in my house”
Biggest Embarrassment: Nothing really, but vertical blinds are not my fave.
Proudest DIY: Neon painted frame. There's not much DIY in the place actually!
Biggest Indulgence: I’m not a huuuuge spender, but I do often do late night online splurges on fun decorative items like the hamburger stool from Three Drawers Down, the Pop & Scott pot and Bride & Wolfe acrylic lips. I also have a bit of a ceramic addiction. Can’t stop. Fave’s are Milly Dent, Bridget Bodenham and Lauren Finkelston (self press).
Best Advice: Decorate with things that make you happy, that are a reflection of you. Don’t get too stuck on trends, seasonal colours...
Dream Sources: See under biggest indulgence!
Resources of Note:
- Pink & gold pot - Pop and Scott
- Copper plant stand - Wirely
- Beanbag - Kip and Co
- Colourful rope on chair - Shu Lee
- Cloud print - Brooklyn Whelan
- Rug - Urban Outfitters
- Cushion on chair - Ponyrider
- Chair and white table - op shop finds
- Above and on mantel: Pink / blue risograph print - Adriana Picker; Jungle pop + Beyond Mountains prints - Laura BlythmanMountain Bloobs - Enemies Yay (a Laura Blythman collaboration); Smiths print - Wasted Rita; black eye pot - Lauren Finkleston; Druid - Pete Cromer
- Hamburger stool - Three Drawers DownRug - Armadillo and Co
- Cushions - Feliz + Ponyrider + Arro Home
- Heart print - Enemies Yay
- Hand print - Say Hola
- Coffee Table - Eames replica
- Tray - Marrimekko
- couch - Ebay el cheapo
- Bookshelf - mix of precious items - most importantly,
- Vintage Box Brownie Camera that was used by my grandpa and great grandpa in the wars.
- Bowie Record - from mum’s collection
- Large face print - Madeleine Stamer - Little Circus Design
- Our dog Zekie Portrait - Kirbee Lawler
- Owl Print - Kareena Zerefos
- Kitchen and drawers - Ikea
- Doily bike basket - Design House Stockholm
- Life is fantastic - NGV, David Shrigley
- Mobile - Enemies Yay for Frankie Magazine
- Chairs - Ebay
- Retro fruit bowl - Thrift shop
- Cutting board - Little Lumberjack
- Ceramics on window sill - Bridget Bodenham, Lauren Finkleston
- Quilt - Arro Home
- Bed spread - Urban Outfitters
- Pillows - Ken Done, Kip and Co, Jasmine Dowling
- Artwork - Laura Blythman
- Lips - Bride & Wolfe
- Pink floral wall hanging - Thrift shop find, spray painted pink
- Round bedside table / trolley - Thrift Shop find
- Ceco mirror - Thrift shop
- Floral shoes - Rollie
- Bed - Ikea
- Bedding - Cotton On Kids, Kip and Co, Farg and Form,
- Rug - Ikea
- Wall cloud -Laura Blythman
- Stool - thrift shop
- Owl cushion - La De Dah kids
- Prints / artworks - various, Laura blythman, Pete Cromer
- Chair - Replica from Ebay
- Rug - Urban Outfitters
- Vintage rollerskates - mine from when I was little!
- Furniture - all good ole Ikea
- Mountain scape on shelf - made by me
- Let the Sun Shine In print - Slide Sideways
- Blue heart vase - Lovestar Loves
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
Re-edited from a tour originally published April 2015 — AB