- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I've lived in my apartment for over twenty years, and have redecorated several times. I love how versatile it is! Its best feature is the huge windows that make up the front wall and face south, letting sunlight stream in all afternoon. Without those windows I think it would be just another dingy old apartment.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. If you can afford it, rent storage space. Doing so changed my life and my approach to decorating. I have only one closet in my apartment and it's not very large. Having storage allows me to keep stuff I don't have room for in my place but can't part with just yet. It's also great for storing off-season clothing, shoes, blankets, and luggage.
2. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new furniture, new artwork, and new colors occasionally. Craigslist is a great resource for doing this because you can buy and sell great stuff on it.
3. Be sure to have plenty of places to stash away clutter quickly so your place always looks uncluttered at a moment's notice. For me it's an ottoman with storage (that doubles as my footstool and laptop stand) and two large IKEA cubes that I keep under the shelving. I tend to let papers/books pile up on the couch and side tables sometimes, and when someone's coming over it's easy to just stow stuff away quickly.