- Chicago, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- There are many things I love about my space and the building, which has been around for over a century in a historic printing district. I love bringing my passion for history into my home by designing with a variety of elements from different eras. Many of my favorite pieces have been handed down or found at yard sales, and I like finding ways to showcase them. I also love the large windows that fill the living space with afternoon and evening light and provide a great view of weather activity. I do everything I can to highlight the view, including wall colors that are based on an evening palette. I love that the amount of light has been conducive to raising a small apartment garden for fresh herbs. The layout of this space has made it easy for me to express my simple aesthetic.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Personality - I like creating a space that is comfortable, and that represents my personality. Colors and pillows are easy to change on a budget, and simple furniture can work well if used strategically. I also like solving design problems. In the entry hallway, I used two different wall colors and merged them with a pattern.
2. Logic - Without organization, small spaces clutter fast. I try to donate old items when I make new purchases, and I utilize my closet and cabinet space fully. I have a few pieces of artwork and posters with sentimental value that I no longer wish to display, so I hang them in closets!
3. Time - I have taken my time to select artwork and furniture. There are still some thrifty items that I would like to replace, but I do my best to make what I have look neat and clean. Taking time to consider possibilities means I'm always finding wonderful things I wasn't even looking for, and that's what makes it so much fun!