- Jacksonville, FL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the sense of disconnect my home brings in the evenings when I get home from work, and the laughter that comes out of it when my friends visit. Not to mention the courtyard downstairs, which has a “Melrose Place” feel and adds entertainment space for visitors. I've been here for just over a year, and before moving I lived in a 2bed/2bath for two years. The transition really forced me to downsize by only holding on to “things” that were being used, and possessions that had personal significance. Most of the furniture is IKEA, and the decor pieces I've purchased on my travels or inherited from family members. I enjoy displaying records I borrow from my dad’s collection and photos I've taken over the years as artwork. These items remind me of places I've been and the people I love.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Fill the space with items you absolutely love or that have a story behind them. This may take some time, but it’s worth the wait.
2. Incorporate different colors and patterns into mundane pieces. I did this with my futon by adding a colorful throw and pillows.
3. A small space should not inhibit you from inviting friends over for dinner parties or a glass of wine. Seeing my friends kicked back and relaxed in my home makes my day every single time.