- Chicago, IL
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- I love the dramatic curtains (hung over mirrored doors) that make it feel so luxurious! We hung curtains high above the doors (my mom's genius idea!) to create a dramatic effect that made the room not feel so long, and give the illusion of a floor to ceiling window rather than an outdated mirror. I also love that we have a mixture of modern, vintage, and handmade pieces. I'm most proud of our DIY headboard! The room is so narrow that there is no room for any kind of bed frame. So we DIY'ed a headboard that we could hang on the wall without taking away from the limited walking space at the end of the bed. My earrings and necklaces hang on jewelry frames made and gifted by my dad, and the cathedral art was drawn and gifted by my sister-in-law. I also love that my husband is as happy and comfortable in our bedroom as I am. I knew the curtains were feminine, so we made sure to include more masculine elements like the dark blue nightstand and industrial-style lamp.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- The most important change we made to our bedroom was creating dedicated hidden space for dirty clothes. Now instead of throwing things on the floor, we can toss them in a hamper in the closet and not worry about making a mess. And as much as I love open shelves on nightstands, they can easily become cluttered. We both have bed-side drawers for collecting those items that can easily pile up. Lastly, as in any room, lighting is key. We have one small window and not much natural light to work with. So we have overhead lights on a dimmer switch which allow us more light during the day, but soft calming light in the evening. We also both have task lights on our nightstands so we can read without disturbing each other.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- My husband and I love music and dream about having a music room someday. In the meantime, we created a music nook in our bedroom. We play and sing much more often now that the keyboard and guitar are always visible and available. And the best part about it being in our bedroom is that I can drift off to sleep while my husband serenades me.
My Bedroom Retreat