I'm really excited to be participating in the Style Cure this month - certain parts of our home are in desperate need! Since we bought our little house in 2006, we've been slooowly renovating and decorating to make it feel more like home. It's taken us a long time because we have a teeny tiny budget, both work full time, and have had kids along the way (our daughters Violet, 3, and Lucy, 3 months), which definitely slows things down considerably!
Some rooms in our home, like our family room (above), are fairly finished, while others like our kitchen and master bedroom have barely been touched. I'm hoping the Style Cure will help me to focus my thoughts and get things going in those neglected spaces. So here we go, starting with my interview:
1. List your favorites in each category:
- Actor: Andrew Lincoln
- Actress: Keira Knightley
- Artist: Michelle Armas
- Writer: Jane Austen
- Music: all over the place!
- Restaurant: Italian
- Automobile: Not really into cars
- Movie or Television Show: The Walking Dead/Downton Abbey
- Clothing (pieces, designers or stores): JCrew
- Furniture (pieces, designers or stores): Anthropologie
2. Choose three words to describe your personal style:
3. Think back over all the homes you've lived in, both as a child and an adult. Which rooms would you choose as your favorites and how would you describe them?
Favorite room from a childhood home and description: Family Room — It has vaulted ceilings and gorgeous natural light.
Favorite room from an adult home and description: Family Room — this is probably my favorite room in the house mainly because it gets lots of natural light through the French doors. We also created an eclectic gallery wall with my favorite artwork that I've collected here and there over the years, and it's got a warm family vibe, as a lot of my older daughter's toys are in here. I like her to feel as comfortable in our space as we do.
4. Whom do you consider a role model?
What three adjectives describe the qualities that you admire in this person?
5. Every home has areas that are "just right". Which three spots or things in your home do you feel are beautiful and feel proud of, right now, as is:
- My daughter's room
- The nursery
- Our family room
6. A month from now, at the end of the Style Cure, how would you like your friends to describe your home?
After answering the questions here and looking back at my responses, I think my answers in the first two questions are pretty eclectic - I mean, I've got everything from The Walking Dead to Pride and Prejudice in there. That's a pretty wide range. I think that meshes with my style pretty well, as I tend to love things from minimalistic Scandinavian spaces, to room with a warm, cluttered "vintage" vibe, to classic, to Mid-Century. I'm kind of all over the place.
Questions 3 and 5 are definitely showing that I'm looking for a bright, welcoming, family space. I'm thinking a light paint color on the walls is a must, as well as lots of personal items, while questions 4 and 6 are pointing toward a welcoming finished space, but on a budget for sure.
I'm already getting excited about tackling the last couple of tough areas in our home, and I'm so glad to be getting some help with focusing my thoughts. If you'd like to see more of our home (in progress), you can check it out here.
(Images: Lauren Hufnagl)