Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I have never before loved a place I've lived in like I love this apartment. I wanted to create a space that was delightful, organized, and expressive of who I am. I draw comics, and designed my home to feel like i was in my own strip. The bedroom designed to be a Night scene, with a light up moon, and the living room a day scene, with sky, green-grass carpet, and cloud lamps. I wanted to to use almost exclusively reused items/material in my home instead of buying new mass produced items. I asked designer and furniture builder Aaron Kllc to help me furnish and decorate. The bed, hutch, and dining table were all made out of reclaimed wood. The dining table was made out of an old drafting table and a vintage piece of burl wood.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- I'm an artist and I love idea boards, pinning up my drawings, inspirational images, love notes, and to do lists. We decided that a huge 6'x6' area in the hallway was the prefect place for a big cork board and a magnet board made out of galvanized aluminum. The only real challenge is big parties. Everyone likes coming here because its so beautiful and I want to have people over. My dining table and dining chairs fold up and I can put them away in the hall closet. Perhaps my favorite success was creating a special area for my art supplies, so we turned a closet into a storage area using exclusively reclaimed wooden furniture parts, drawers, and wood scraps that Aaron found at salvage yards and flea markets. Now that everything has a place and everything feels homey, I love being in the small and cozy environment.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Donate the winnings to Aaron, the inspired artist who helped create my home, so he can go on to helping others love the home as much as he did for me!
See all entries