I was looking through my "living room" board on Pinterest the other day when I was struck by something unexpected. Several of my favorite living rooms share three elements in common:
1) a touch of leather
2) mid-century upholstery
3) oriental rugs
By no means an obvious threesome. But it's a design trifecta that wins me over every time! In each of these rooms, the lushly intricate patterns in the oriental rug are a perfect contrast with the masculine leathers and structural upholstery. In some of these rooms the leather is white and bright, which could be overly clinical and monotonous if not for the warmth of an oriental rug. In other rooms, brooding black leather is saved from being too grim by the prettiness of a kilim or persian rug.
1. The room on the left has always been one of may favorites. I love how simple it is, yet how full of warmth. Here all the elements are at play: white modern sofa, black leather chairs, oriental rug. Love it. In the image to the right, the black leather sofa brings out the bold dark patterns in the oriental rug, making the room feel anything but sweet and pretty. Both from Home Edit.
2. Here, white leather mid-century furniture highlights the beautiful architecture of the room. And all that white would be too much without the gorgeous rugs. Laidlaw Schultz Architects.
3. A very contemporary white kitchen is softened just enough by an oriental rug in this Boston home. Boston Globe.
4. This room projects a kind of well-travelled intellect and character with its eclectic furniture and wall of books. Amitzi via Houzz.
5. This incredibly modern, fresh and open space is dotted with oriental rugs. Just goes to show you don't have to stick with a single theme (modern and stark) to make a room glow. Belmont home from Boston Globe.
(Images: As linked above)