If you haven't seen one in your single guy friends' apartments, you've probably spotted one in your newly married girl friends' living room (where she is putting on a brave face until she can get rid of it). Sorry to generalize guys, but nothing screams "bachelor!" like a black leather sofa. Indeed the ubiquity of the overstuffed black leather sofa has kind of given the whole concept of a leather sofa a bad rap.It's unfortunate, because leather is a great upholstery material — it's durable, easily cleaned, and comes in every color under the sun! So, I decided to search out some leather sofas that both design-savvy sexes could appreciate.
1. Albert Sectional Design Within Reach $4,845* (*on sale). This sectional achieves the delicate balance of looking both modern and comfortable--not an easy feat!
3. Chelsea Wing Settee Williams-Sonoma Home $4,250. Ok, so this is a settee and not technically a sofa, but I find it utterly charming and sophisticated, too.
4. Blu Dot Couchoid Sofa 2Modern $1,799. If you like the look of leather, but prefer a leather-free lifestyle, then this modern couch from Blu Dot which is upholstered in "leather alternative" might be up your alley.
5. Ian Leather Sofa Crate and Barrel $3,499. I love the simplicity of this sofa. You don't exactly want to curl up and watch a movie on it, but I think for a more formal living room it could work.
6. Milos sofa Bo Concept $2,495. On its website Bo Concept describes this sofa as a "modern Chesterfield." Huh.
7. IKEA Stockholm Sofa $1,499. A leather sofa for under $1,500? Only at IKEA!
8. Conrad Sofa Jayson Home & Garden $5,495. In case #6 had you wondering what a classic Chesterfield sofa looks like — this it it.
9. Box Sofa Compact Hive Modern $6,775. I love this mid-century modern inspired sofa from a duo of Spanish designers--it also comes in walnut.
10. Essex Leather Sofa West Elm $1,999. A traditional leather sofa without the traditional price tag — what's not to like?
Do you love or hate the idea of a leather sofa?