Lighting technology has kept evolving over the last few years, and we believe we've finally reached a point where LED bulbs are a viable and cost efficient option. The average energy-saving LED light bulb costs about 35% more than its energy-saving CFL counterpart, but it lasts more than four times as long and uses a fraction of the energy required to power an incandescent. This is just for one bulb. Imagine what happens if you change all of your bulbs in your home...
A lot of homes are running CFL light bulbs now. It's true that they were very energy efficient compared to incandescent bulbs. However, in the last few years, LED light bulbs have taken the upper hand, in energy efficiency. We've compared a few different makes and models and it comes down to numbers. Basically, LED light bulbs are on average about 4 times more efficient than CFL bulbs. The initial cost has been reduced significantly over the last year. This means that you'll end up paying between $3 to $6 more per bulb.
If you buy LED light bulbs, the energy savings over its 50,000-hour life is around $200. For most CFL bulbs, this number is around $50. Most CFL bulbs will last you a couple of years, between 3 to 5 depending on your daily lighting usage. Most LED bulbs will last a lot longer. Conservative estimates for a 50,000-hour bulb put its life between 12 and 14 years.
1. Re-Imagined Alessi Light Bulbs: Three designers re-imagined Alessi light bulbs and this was the result.
2. What Are LEDs?: A quick and easy explanation about what LEDs are and why they are so important. You'll find LEDs in lighting, HDTVs, and laptops.
3. Overlamping: This is a strong argument against too many lights in your home. Too much light can be problematic.
4. Philips EnduraLED vs EcoSmart: A quick comparison between Philips and Home Depot's EcoSmart LED light bulbs.
5. Home Depot's EcoSmart LED Bulb: This bulb gives you an example of where the tech was about a year ago. This bulb lasted 25,000 hours and cost $40. This GE EcoSmart LED bulb costs $18 and lasts 50,000 hours.