Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Chicago, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I am consistently enchanted about the amount of natural sunlight I get in my space. And even though it is a relatively tiny space, it is perfectly sized for me. I love the older architecture of the building, especially the wainscoting detail and also the archways in the entrance and between my living room to work space area.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- I feel like the biggest challenge for me was finding a balance between feeling homey without overcrowding, and choosing the right furniture pieces that wouldn't block my window and light, but give me much needed storage.
How I went about solving this was pretty simple. I decided that I was going to throw out the idea of choosing elements because they fit a certain style or look and just focused on items that brought me joy to look at. This was key because by living in such a small space, nothing is out of sight.
And finally, my quest for furniture pieces with storage and great aesthetic. I feel like my triumph here is that I am moving slowly in acquiring the right pieces for my space that will add value and serve a purpose.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- If I win, I would look to enhance 5 areas of my home. My living room storage system, bathroom, kitchen, entryway, and greenery.
In my living room, I have been looking for something that might hide my TV, but give me a floor to ceiling storage solution that I can use both for entertainment and additional drawer space for folded clothes.
For my bathroom, I would love to see a more sophisticated approach to the necessary items needed in this space, maybe working in a linen storage and bathroom items solution without crowding.
My kitchen needs additional counter space and some hung personality. I would like to add a narrow island and some shelving so I can display my cooking books with pride and have a place to chop up my latest culinary creation.
In my entryway I would love to see something for people to hang their hats and place their shoes when they stop by.
And finally, my whole space could use a lot more greenery. I would like to grow a succulent garden and maybe incorporate a indoor house tree.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013