Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Portland, OR
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- What I love about my bedroom is that it has followed me around piece-by-piece for over ten years and between ten homes, and still feels cohesive and "me." My favorite piece in my bedroom is the bed. I painted it black, and because the project turned out to be quite a task, I appreciate it all the more. The mattress was made locally and delivered to my home by bike! (If that doesn't sound like an episode of Portlandia, I don't know what does!) Aside from my bed, the thing I love most about my bedroom is the window. It's common to hear that what people love most about their home is the "light" or the "windows," but since I live in a basement apartment, the one large window in the bedroom is even more precious. I don't have much of a view and I've never made a fuss about getting curtains, but the wide sill is home to my collection of plants and is the only place I can grow anything. I love waking up to the sun-glow behind green leaves and giant amaryllis blooms.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- Basement living has taught me to make the most of my low-light situation. I love being able to plug in a few well-placed lamps and voila! super cozy space! Another key for me in creating a beautiful space is keeping it tidy. I gradually built the habit of making my bed each morning. I may have a few dishes in the sink at the end of the day, but knowing that I can retreat to my calm and clean bedroom by night is a great stress reliever. I love to organize by color. As a visual artist, I make sense of the world with a palette in front of me, and getting dressed with a color coordinated closet makes me happy. Most of my furnishings and decor are secondhand and have been with me for many years. A huge part of what makes my bedroom retreat beautiful to me is how each piece of furniture, each photo, each book, each blanket has a story that is meaningful. By curating these objects in a lovely way, I get to live into these stories every day.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- Even though my bedroom could accommodate a small desk or reading chair, I am happy to maintain its function as a relaxation, dressing, and sleeping space, and I love the openness I feel in my bedroom (especially with the low, basement ceilings). I like not having to wake up or go to sleep seeing a desk full of "work" staring back. One of my favorite things is that moment each night when I pull up the lofty down comforter around my face and let out a contented sigh. I am glad to make this room my bedroom retreat!
See all entries